Selling online can be quite intimidating when you're first starting out. We've put together this quick guide to explain the basics of what to consider when selling online and how to set up your first product to sell.
Products can be anything from physical goods, to services, or digital downloads. If you already have a product in mind or have already sold online, you can skip ahead to the section Creating a product.
If you are new to selling online, here are a few things to consider before creating your first product.
- Photos - Be sure to have some good photos to show of your products.
- Shipping - If you're selling physical goods, you should decide if you want to ship domestically or internationally, and determine the costs associated for each. With Payify you can control which contries you ship to.
- Taxes - In some cases you may be required to pay taxes on the products you sell. If you have questions about tax rates or collecting taxes, please consult with your tax advisor.
The following guide will show you the entire process of selling products from start to finish.
1Creating a product
Products are best suited for physical goods, services, and digital downloads. For this example we'll add a physical product that will need to be shipped.
- First enter a Title, Price, and Description.
- Click Save. After saving you'll be presented with more product details that you can set.
- Next go to Images and click Upload image and select any images you'd like to add to this product.
- Review any of the other available options and set those as necessary. .
- Click Save.
2Set up shipping
If you're selling physical goods you can set flat shipping rates at the product level. In order for Payify to apply those rates correctly it will need to know your shipping origin. Additionally, if you want to limit which countries you ship to, you can set up shipping zones.
- Go to Settings > Shipping.
- In the Shipping origin section, enter the address where your products will be shipped from.
- Next under Shipping zones, check only the countries you want to ship to. Customers not from those countries will not be allowed to proceed through checkout.
3Set up taxes
If your local tax laws require you to charge taxes on your products you can set up tax rules which will be applied at checkout.
- Go to Settings > Taxes.
- In the Tax regions section, check any options that apply.
- To set up a tax region in which you have nexus, click Add tax region. This will generally be your physical location as well as any warehouses or suppliers where your products may ship from. For each region, you can add custom tax rates. Check out the section on setting up taxes for a more in-depth look at how to set up tax rates.